2K views

I responded to an online “job posting” and received a very slick automated reply. However, it went into some detail about the company's products and business model, which is generally not the case with other 'work at home' schemes I've looked into. I replied with a few questions, and received a prompt response which answered all my questions completely and without deceit. Here's what I learned:

Recruits are obliged to buy a $20 annual subscription to online company support. You are also required to cough up a monthly fee which will dictate the commissions received on member recruitment and product sales. That fee STARTS at $50/month.

While I applaud them for being straightforward and reasonably transparent, an employer should pay the employee – not the other way around. The other way around is about as sketchy as it gets. If you jump into this and get burned, it's your own fault.

Comments

AmeriPlan is NOT a job...it's a home based business. As with any business, there are some costs that go into that.

Let's say you want to open a book store. JUST to open you need to pay for space, inventory, utilities, employees (assuming you start with more than just yourself). Just to name a few. Consider the difference in the monthly payment alone.

Additionally, that monthly overhead is to cover YOUR benefits.

I am definitely no part of this company, however, I have been involved in MLM and what some individuals don't understand is that in order to make money you got to spend money. It would be quite ridiculous to expect to have your own business without putting any money. Personally per my reviews and all information provided I see nothing wrong with this company, heck I'm actually going to join!

Maitland, Florida, United States #892960

You need to READ and understand. You are not an employee.

You would be an IBO, an Independent Business Owner. I too am looking at this opportunity.

Pay attention to what they are offering.... an opportunity not a job.

to Deb #892982

That's all fine and dandy IF you are looking for a business opportunity. However, when you are looking for a JOB, and these knuckleheads contact you and waste your time, it is beyond frustrating!

They need to not post misleading "job" ads!

Don't advertise you have a job, when in reality you are offering a business opportunity! Pretty simple, right?!

to Anonymous #938233

I completely agree with Deb. It is a business, your own business, and in any business you have an overhead.

Which in this case I believe is reasonably small.

If you are just looking for a job and not a business, your are just looking in the wrong place. This is not for you, so just leave it at that.

THIS IS BOTH POSSATIVE AND NEGATIVE

I have been reading both comments on the business itself and reply comments. First off, you need to understand how business works.

Start-up fees can be a number of fees paid to run a business; Federal, state and local business licenses, other licenses, items purchased to run your business, hiring new employees, etc. Almost all new business's have some type of monthly fees, i.e.; phone book ads, other advertising, websites, phone bill, electrical bill, gas, employees, etc. If you really take a look at the fees that AMERIPLAN is charging, it is no different from starting a regular business, except, the average start-up fees for a new small business (1-5 employees) are about $22,000+. Monthly expenses run about $3,300+ without employees and $11,000+ with employees.

Not to mention you must keep up on all laws and compliances which affect that business, unless you pay someone to do it for you - another expense.

Look at it from this standpoint: in regular business you have a ton, I mean a ton of paper work. Who does 90+% of the paper work with AMERIPLAN - they do. Who builds your Website - they do. If you want to recruit new IBO's, who pays them - they do - and you make money on that.

Oh, did I mention taxes.

In regular business you have Federal, state and/or local taxes due every month and yearly. You are required to fill and file all sorts of Federal, state and/or local forms, monthly and yearly. What do you do with AMERIPLAN; just keep track of your income and expenses - easy on QuickBooks.

And there is a lot more that I did not cover that AMERIPLAN does that we do not have to worry about. Is it an MLM, yes and no - my opinion.

There are strict Federal laws and guidelines that MLM's must follow or the fines are huge, not to mention the Federal Government can close a MLM company down if it is breaking the laws.

The reason I know about these things is simple; I owned a business of my own with 12-14 employees for 18 years. I sold it because it was 24/7 and was starting to cause me health problems. I can tell you one thing, the only one that made out after I sold my business, was the IRS. I have found some negative so far: Better Business Bureau: All I see is that they are not "BBB ACCREDITED".

Dunn & Bradstreet Ratings: PAYDEX® (Poor) 08/09/2014, Delinquency Predictor Class (Poor) 07/20/2014 Financial Stress Class (Poor) 08/24/2014, Supplier Evaluation Rating (Poor)11/17/2013 Now to be honest, I have never had much faith in D&B. US CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: There are no ratings either on state chambers or the US Chamber. I AM DISAPPOINTED ON THE ABOVE, BECAUSE THEY STATE CLEARELY: A+ WITH BBB and HIGHEST RATING WITH US CHAMBER - NEITHER ARE TRUE. I WILL FIND OUT TONIGHT.

FYI - I am not an IBO yet, but maybe after tonight. I think this is a good opportunity and if treated with respect, worked hard, I believe the rewards could be there.

No work - No income. DID NOT MEAN TO BE LONG WINDED - HOPE THE ABOVE HELPS

You are not an employee of AMERIPLAN. The out front money you talk about is clearly discribed in the phone presentation. You get out of it what you put in it.

I am signing up today.

Herndon, Virginia, United States #860409

It's a business YOU own and not an employee/employer relationship. They make that clear.

Look in the Business Opportunity section of any ad site and you will see that you have to invest to buy a business or pay expenses to run a business. If you want a JOB, go find one. This is not a JOB with a boss and a set job description. Why don't people want to work?

I am not even an IBO for this company today. go work at WalMart if you want an $8 an hour guaranteed paycheck.

to Smarterthanthat #860411

If my only choices were AmeriPlan or Walmart, I would take the job at Walmart.

to Shinel #861835

You would only take the job at Walmart because you rather say "They scammed me" instead of "I didn't put in the work." You don't want to be responsible for your own failure so blaming the company is easier for you. If Ameriplan was a "scam" it WOULD'VE THEN "scammed" everyone.

And not a single good thing would be able to be said about the company, yet it was discussed in Good Morning America, and there was a special on it by Morely Safer on 60 minutes. Are all people doctors, lawyers, or musicians?

No because not everyone is suited for the discipline it takes to become those individuals the same way you're not cut out, it seems, to be working online from home. Just goes to show some work harder than others, if they really wanted this and it doesn't seem like you did.

Holt, Florida, United States #724860

You are not an "employee" when you sign up with Ameriplan, you are a business owner! So, as any business owner you are going to incur monthly expenses.

If you want to be an employee then go get a 9 to 5 job and get paid what the employer thinks you are worth. However, if you want to be your own boss and get paid according to your own efforts, (which by the way can be more than you would ever make at a 9 to 5 job.) then look into Ameriplan.

The support is awesome, the training is fantastic, and you CAN make a career level income with residual pay.

I understand there are start up fees. I understand this is not a get rich quick business.

However Ameriplan sent me an IBO deluxe kit type thing I did not order nor authorize payment for.

the money disappeared from my account causing household bill payments to bounce. Terrible that a multi million dollar company would go about such unethical practices, and when I addressed the company about this subject they were indignant!

to Justbeenhad #861771

If what you say is true, every state has laws against this type of act. However, how did they get your information, you had to have given it to them. Also, you can report this problem with your bank and they will assist you with recovery.

Boise, Idaho, United States #669620

So if you have a business, you don't think you should have start up costs? That's the name of the game: put something into it to get something out of it.

Its actually very low start up costs.

I just signed up and there is a lot of support to help you be successful. You can't always get something for nothing, beware of THAT mentality as you continue to look!

to work at home mama Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #679213

"Start up" implies an initial one-time expenditure. The fees charged by Ameriplan continue in perpetuity, for as long as you are associated with the scam. Those are categorically NOT "start up costs."

to Anonymous Florida City, Florida, United States #698604

However, every business has expenses every month and that is how ameriplan is you have that monthly expense. Which covers all the stuff corporate does for everyone who works at home with the company.

to Anonymous #726429

First you called them start up costs. Once that was demonstrated to be false, you allege that they're operating expenses.

It's a pyramid scam, plain & simple.

It doesn't matter how demonstrably sketchy it is, you'll always find a way to rationalize the scam. More power to you, I suppose.

to Anonymous #938190

First of all no one can take money from your account unless YOU, give them your information. Secondly, they are very honest about the fees, how much it starts for start up fees, and then how much you pay monthly for Over head fees.

These fees help people working behind the scenes, IT techs to keep the Website going, people who send out the emails automatically for you so you can concentrate on YOUR part of the business you just bought into. I am not an IBO, yet but seriously thinking about it, I have been scammed several times, and this one sounds ligit to me!

to Anonymous #1007761

I am not the same person who comment previously, so please don't confuse us. I have just read the comment thread and felt the need to interject here.

To clear up the confusion: There are start up fees and monthly fees both. These were both outlined in the contract as well as the phone call that I was a part of today. They are available for questions anytime I have had them via email and phone. I have not signed on the dotted line as of yet but am looking into it as an option for me and my family.

So far I feel they have been very open that this is a business you are buying into. Its like a franchise. You are selling their product and helping recruit others to do the same. There is a fee to be able to have access to the products you are selling and to be able to have the websites they provide and run, this would be the case if you started your own company only at a much higher rate (it is a base fee and you have 6 websites given to you that are managed and designed by the company at no extra charge to you).

They are very clear that everything you earn is on a commission base and I felt the commissions were outlined very clearly. You make money as a lump first time commission and then residual money for those who enroll under you and stay with the company. You also make money for anyone that you recruit to work for the company both first time commission and residual. You are not required to cold call people, anyone that you would be talking to would have requested information from you through your website and/or email.

They provide you with scripts to use with information about the company and the products. They provide you a six step training program as well as on going assistance and training. If you take advantage of all that they offer then its well worth the time and money invested in my opinion. Just like any company start up though, if you are not invested in putting in the time and effort you will not reap the reward.

And just like any start up company you will not get rich overnight either, nor are you guaranteed to become rich. There is risk in anything. And you have to decide if the risk is worth the reward. Also: they are very clear that this is not an insurance its a discount plan.

And the recruiter that I spoke with was very open and didn't hide the fact that you would have to use someone that was within their network to receive the discounts. Again, its all about whether its worth it to you or right for you. This is not for everyone. If you are looking to get rich quick its not here.

If you are looking for a job opportunity with no upfront out of pocket cost, its not here. And if you are looking for super cheap "insurance" its not here. I don't feel like they hide that information at all.

You just have to be diligent and read what they send you and join the calls they ask you to and go through the training they provide. This information is all there.

to work at home mama Taylor, Michigan, United States #816880